The agent container image is available in the public Docker Hub. Its installation differs depending on the scheduling / orchestration being used. Please note that the container needs to run in a privileged mode, allowing it to see host-specific metrics.
What kind of containerized environment do you have?
You can also install the agent directly on the Linux Host, for example, if you have a specific image for your worker machines:
Installation via Custom Containers
While the agent container provided by Instana will get you started quickly, it does not offer all the configuration options a regular agent download has.
For users who want to build their own, fully customized, Agent container, here are some guidelines:
- The Instana Agent container is based off alpine:3.7 - a minimal Linux distribution. Other supported OS work as well.
- If running alpine, add glibc support to it.
- Add docker support to the container.
- Extract a JDK into the container. The Instana Agent container uses the Azul Zulu JVM.
- You can also use a preconfigured Linux with Java, like alpine with Oracle by https://hub.docker.com/r/frolvlad/alpine-oraclejdk8/.
- Download the agent as described in Manual Agent Installation.
Extract and configure it in the container.
- To support standard container logging integration, the file logging should be deactivated and console logging activated.
- Run the agent with:
exec /instana-agent/bin/karaf daemon.
- By using
exec + the daemon flag, the process will correctly handle the restart signals.
Easy configuration override
FROM instana/agent COPY my-configuration.yaml /root/configuration.yaml COPY my-mvn-settings.xml.tmpl /root/mvn-settings.xml.tmpl COPY com.instana.agent.main.sender.Backend.cfg.tmpl /root/com.instana.agent.main.sender.Backend.cfg.tmpl
docker build -t myrepro/newagent . docker push myrepro/newagent:devtag
For reference, here are links to the github docker projects that Instana utilizes to build its docker agents: