The agent container image is available in the public Docker Hub. Its installation differs depending on the scheduling / orchestration being used. Please note that the container needs to run in a privileged mode, allowing it to see host-specific metrics.
If you can’t, or don’t want to use docker hub you can pull the container image directly from Instana.
docker login containers.instana.io -u _ -p <agent_key> docker pull containers.instana.io/instana/release/agent/dynamic:latest #downloads the latest version of the dynamic agent docker pull containers.instana.io/instana/release/agent/static:latest #downloads the latest version of the static agent
What kind of containerized environment do you have?
You can also install the agent directly on the Linux Host, for example, if you have a specific image for your worker machines:
While the agent container provided by Instana will get you started quickly, it does not offer all the configuration options a regular agent download has.
For users who want to build their own, fully customized, Agent container, here are some guidelines:
- The Instana Agent container is based off ubuntu:18.04. Other supported OS work as well.
- If running alpine, add glibc support to it.
- Add docker support to the container.
- Extract a JDK into the container. The Instana Agent container uses the Azul Zulu JVM.
- You can also use a preconfigured Linux with Java, like alpine with Oracle by https://hub.docker.com/r/frolvlad/alpine-oraclejdk8/.
- Download the agent as described in Manual Agent Installation.
Extract and configure it in the container.
- To support standard container logging integration, the file logging should be deactivated and console logging activated.
- Run the agent with:
exec /instana-agent/bin/karaf daemon.
- By using
exec + the daemon flag, the process will correctly handle the restart signals.
Easy configuration override
FROM instana/agent COPY my-configuration.yaml /root/configuration.yaml COPY my-mvn-settings.xml.tmpl /root/mvn-settings.xml.tmpl COPY com.instana.agent.main.sender.Backend.cfg.tmpl /root/com.instana.agent.main.sender.Backend.cfg.tmpl
docker build -t myrepro/newagent . docker push myrepro/newagent:devtag
For reference, here are links to the github docker projects that Instana utilizes to build its docker agents: